Monday, November 21, 2011

Happy Birthday Mom

Well, I am reconsidering my decision to end my blog ad infinitum.  And that is partly because of one of my most longtime, faithful readers.  Her name?  Well, I call her mom, mother, jude abood, and a few other names that I can't mention on this family-friendly blog.  Those names are only uttered during not-so-family-friendly games of Pounce, a favorite full-contact card game we play.

Today is mom's birthday so I thought I would honor her with a few, albeit rare, kind words.

Thank you, mom, for being a great teacher.  You taught me to "mingle, mingle, mingle."  You taught me how to bake bread and to sew.  You taught me how to do laundry and how to do dishes the correct way (too bad Felicia and Brenda were not quite so cooperative around the kitchen!).  You taught me how to conduct myself in public, and how to have the integrity to conduct myself when nobody else is watching.  You taught me how to stick with 7 years of piano lessons even when there was no evident fruit.  (Buy hey, I can pound out "Don't Bring Me Down" with the best of them, and my love of music continues to this day.)

Thank you for encouraging me.  You encouraged me to use my gifts and to recognize when I didn't have gifts to use.  Thank you for supporting me through failed attempts at things like Little League and other short-lived (thank God) athletic attempts.  Thanks for dragging me to numerous activities...band and piano lessons and youth group and cub scouts and drama practice and forensics and crap like that.

Thank you for appreciating me.  Thanks for the black raspberry pies that often await my announced visits (although it does seem like Felicia gets more food when she visits).  Thank you for putting up with my sisters and teaching me how to do the same.  Thank you for loving and caring for dad.  Thanks for softening enough to let us have dogs (and even enjoying a ride to Keiper's with Harley in the back seat!).  Thanks for making holidays special and for often making everydays seem like holidays.

Thank you for being you.  I am thankful to God to have been born into our family.  I hope you enjoy this, your special day.  Happy birthday mom, and many happy returns.

FART POOP PEE BURP (I couldn't post a blog about you without using some bathroom humor words!)

6 comments:

Raylen Darby said...

Yeah Brett!!! So, how was your Thanksgiving?

Brett said...

Our Thanksgiving was wonderful. How about with you guys? We miss you!

Raylen Darby said...

Oh just awesome! I LOVE Thanksgiving!!! I love all of the delicious food and getting to be with all of my family members. We miss you too Brett, we seriously need to get together sometime.

gail kynett said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
gail kynett said...

Just got around to reading this one. Nice. A bit overdue, perhaps, but all good. I'm glad to be her sister. And to have lived through the years of watching you three become who you are today!!

Brett said...

Thanks Gail!