Saturday, April 15, 2006

"I prefer the "poof" method..."

I met with a good friend the other day...a friend who is struggling with God's call on His life.

BTW, who isn't? Only the pagans... OK, I digress.

Anywho, we were talking about allowing God to speak through time and being patient in the process of discernment. After all, the question of what does God want me to do with the rest of my life seems important. I wouldn't want to answer that too hastily!

But then my friend says "well, I prefer the "poof" method myself." I nearly hit the floor with laughter. But it got me to thinking...how do I develop patience with God? How do I begin to see time from His perspective instead of mine? How do I wait on God? As Henry Blackaby says, "waiting on God will wear you out!" How true...

On this Saturday before Easter, I wonder what was Jesus experiencing in death? I'll bet He would have preferred the poof method too....with God for deliverance, and me, for holiness...

2 comments:

Keith H. McIlwain said...

This Christianity-thing is hard work. I really believe that discerning God's will for our lives is one of the things that is most human.

Imagine Jesus going through all that...reading about the "Suffering Servant" in Isaiah all his life, then one day, finally, figuring out that it was referring to him...what a powerful, terrible moment that must have been.

But only because he was fully human do we have reason to celebrate this weekend. God did it all so well, so perfectly.

Hallelujah! Have a glorious Easter!

Keith H. McIlwain said...

You'll like this.