Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Why don't pastors of "real" churches write books?

I think I'm going to write a book. I am tired of reading pastoral leadership books written by pastors who have churches with an average attendance of 60 million. Yes, I know the argument can be made that they know it all, and that is how they average 60 million people a weekend. But it never seems like they live in the real world. Maybe I'm naive, or jealous, or stupid, or worse yet, all of the above. But it MUST be easier to have all the right answers when you have 83 secretaries on staff. It MUST be simpler to find the right kind of leadership when you have a budget equal to that of Canada. It MUST be easier to produce a multi-media message extravaganza when you have producers from all of the major television networks worshiping with you. Am I the only honest one out there? Am I the only one to lament? Am I the only one who wants to read a book by a guy in a church of 150 who has real problems and who is honestly seeking to work through them? Am I the only one looking for real, practical answers to real, practical questions like WE face?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen brother. Write that book! Jesus didn't spend much time in the fancy temples. He was out on the streets rubbing shoulders with the real people.

Keith H. McIlwain said...

Preach it; I agree 100%.

Prettybird said...

I agree, too. You write the book and have Jan draw the illustrations!

love,
r

John said...

Yeah, I've wondered how megachurch pastors have time to write a book a year. They might have large staffs that take care of everything except preaching. Or the books might be ghostwritten. Or both.