Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Oh to be like...

What a world we live in. Always wanting to be like somebody. I work out at a gym every morning and I see us guys trying to be as strong as someone else. I watch Ricky Skaggs play that bluegrass and wish I could pick and sing like he does. I was in the room with one of our sages of the church yesterday, a retired clergy man whose heart resembles the heart of Jesus more than mine...and I long to be like him.

Then as I am preparing for our Vision Team gathering tonight at our parsonage, I've been studying Nehemiah. You owe it to yourself to read at least the first chapter and the first part of chapter two. Check it out here.

So today, the man I wish to be like is our dude Nehemiah. A man who loves God more than himself. A man who loves the people entrusted to him more than himself. A man who sees a greater reality for God's people than they are currently experiencing. And a man who will risk it all to see that God reality come to fruition. Lord, could you help me with that....A LOT?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You didn't say anything about being like Mike!

The same holds true for those who look at others in the church. They look at them and wish they could be like them. You have listed a biblical model, a model by which we can live - and that is something that I can appreciate.

Far too pastors these days have the heart of Nehemiah and actually ask to go somewhere people are hurting. Rarely do they want to do that - but yet they ask, no insist, that they be appointed to places where ministry is "Happening." Maybe all of us could take a page out of this second chapter and want to be more like Nehemiah, and especially more like Christ.

Good Stuff, Brett.

Peace

Chris said...

Brett, I guess great minds think alike. I have been looking at and studying Nehemiah as well...wow, he was a man of vision and leadership.

Brett Probert said...

Helene, how true. If there is one thing that will turn the world off from Jesus it is people who are not authentic. If we really believe that the Lord loves us just as we are, then we need to be that transparent to our friends and enemies. You go girl!

Anonymous said...

Gret blog my friend but do I really have to like blue grass to be authentic. Peace Out.