Monday, December 04, 2006

I Have a Dream!

Today, I sent a thank you note. If the recipient is reading this, you'll get it in the next day or so. She is the person who quietly, every week, makes sure there are fresh offering envelopes and sharp pencils in the chairs. She does this, I suspect, because she truly sees this as a ministry. I hope she does. I do, and I know the Lord does. In fact, my wife Carla and I were talking about how meaningful it is to walk into a church where it is obvious somebody cares. I can hear the lonely and despairing person saying "If the people care about how the pencils and envelopes look, perhaps they'll care about me."

I have a dream. I dream that Cornerstone will be the kind of church where everything is seen as ministry and a chance to touch somebody with the love of Jesus. I have a dream that we will never be satisfied with "good enough." I dream that every person who serves as a greeter would get up that morning on fire to do the Lord's work. I dream that they might see how much potential they have to be a friendly welcoming face to a guest, and that they can be the very first person to enter into some short, friendly dialogue with them.

I have a dream. I dream that we will have nursery workers who see that valuing children and valuing their parents is a way to show both the churched and those yet to be just how much Jesus makes our lives different. I dream that we show up early and stay late. I dream that we see each child as a gift to us and treat them as if they were our very own.

I have a dream. I dream that those who make coffee and prepare the snacks for our little kids will see the difference they are making. The church is the last place on earth where one is not welcome to have a cup of coffee. Not here! I dream that our people making coffee will "whistle while they work" and pray over each pot and each little serving of Goldfish...that the Lord will bless every one who receives.

I have a dream...well you get the picture. We are well on our way. But I will not rest until my dream is fulfilled: That EVERYTHING we do, we do for JESUS. And that we do it in such a way that He is pleased, and others recognize it!

8 comments:

Jan said...

That is a GOOD dream.

Brett Probert said...

I think so!

Keith H. McIlwain said...

On to perfection!

Brett Probert said...

I'm trying!

Anonymous said...

Hi Poons,
I still can't get my email to go through...someday. Thank goodness you appreciate my desire to comment.
I love your "I have a dream" letter...for without dreaming we are dead. I am constantly telling myself that I am not too old to dream. This is, I believe, how we look forward to tomorrow. Jesus talks to us through our dreaming...
By the way, Joe and I were in the nursery on Sunday, and I don't think we've laughed so much. We had a blast. You forget how sweet and funny little ones are.
Have a totally joyful dreaming day!! Thank you for always moving our church forward!!
Sandy

Anonymous said...

Hey B-AP -- maybe the person who quietly puts those pencils and envelopes in the chairs shares your same dream. :) A Beautiful and "hopeful" dream!!!!! sdo

beetlegirlvw said...

Yes....dreams to continue to serve the Lord! I agree...spread the fire brother! Good enough just isn't good enough when we're serving the Lord...we have to dream so we can achieve new heights & goals!

Brett Probert said...

Thanks to you Cornerstone faithfuls who are living the dream with me!!! I'm glad I don't have to dream like this alone!