Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Go Rain Check!!!!

Do you remember that Toys R Us commercial from a few years back about the rain check? It features a little boy who gets a rain check for Christmas instead of a toy. He runs with his rain check...watches TV with it...shows it off to his friends...call his rain check his best friend! You can check out a very poor quality video of it here. The commercial is absolutely hilarious.

But more than that, I think it illustrates a sad but true point. I am beginning a message series this Sunday for Cornerstone entitled "What If?" During the series, we will challenge ourselves by asking the "what if?" question of ourselves in comparison to the early church. I will share for five consecutive weeks from Acts 2:36-47.

Sunday, we begin by asking "what if we really had a passion for Jesus?" Look at Peter. He was a louse all through his apostleship training. He would have been on Academic Probation (ask my mom about when I was in college and my experience with the "dean's list"...I was on the dean's "list" all right!!!) But when Peter is filled with the Holy Spirit, look out. He is on fire and for the first time does something right!

He gets excited not about the stupid things in life that, in the end, mean nothing. He gets excited about Jesus and cannot contain that excitement. And it forced him to focus his ministry...DON'T MISS THIS...on the UNsaved! What if...we did the same?

What if our raison d'etre wasn't for Christians, but for those who are not yet.....?

3 comments:

Greg Cox said...

Sounds like a great series!

I think that I was on Double Secret Probation at Allegheny once. I think I have asked myself a number of times - What if I had only studied a little bit more.

Peace

Chris said...

My first semester at IUP...well lets just sy I wasn't breaking any records. Praise God that I had another chance and did well.

Sounds like a great series.

Keith H. McIlwain said...

I was an honor's student at IUP, so I can't really relate to you slackers.

But I encourage your focus on the unsaved; good for you. We are all too inward-looking, I think..."how can we make our church better?" instead of "how can we help that person who doesn't know Jesus or is hungry or is sick?" I am guilty-as-charged far too often for my own comfort.

Go, Brett, go (but not on me).