Saturday, September 08, 2007

Alrighty Then!

So I will continue to blog...you have convinced me that there is value in this. So here are some thoughts. I met with a "developing friend" yesterday for some thought and perspective. Randy shared with me some things he believes are important for the right balance in life:

1. Weekly worship (and for the pastor's crowd, that means going somewhere else to worship...Sunday night, Wednesday night...whatever)
2. Daily solitude (you mean I have to shut up and listen? NO!)
3. Daily Bible reading (now again, we pastor-type people do far too much Bible study for a sermon or group or SS class or to argue theology on our blogs than we do to just get to know the Author! Ouch!)
4. Time off (which Randy said, and I agree, that one day standing alone isn't effective. He suggests, for pastors, to bank our precious 1 day per week thing and lump them into 2 or 3 days off together. This allows for descent, rest, and ascent about our work.)
5. Compartmentalize your job (which for pastors means "when you're on the clock, work at it with all your heart. And when you're not, put it out of your mind until you are again."

Now some of this sounds easy, but is NOT! So who said being a Christian would be easy? Are we bowing down to the god of our personal comfort, or to the Suffering Servant? And wasn't Jesus blessed in His obedience...and won't we be?

16 comments:

Corben said...

Great blog! I can really connect with this. It is not always easy to be here in the moment when we have ministry on our minds. It is important to practice it though and work hard at making sure we are in the moment so that if we are at work we concentrate on work and when we are at home we concentrate at home. Also I have never experimented with multiple days off in a row, but under the right circumstances it may work out. I have been attending whenever I can another worship service outside of the ministry setting I have been placed and I must say it is a wonderful experience.

Jeff Kahl said...

Brett,

I agree with your list completely, and also that it is so difficult to do. How often do I read the Bible just so I can have an impressive lesson or sermon, rather than letting it preach to my own heart. And as for days off, well, let's just say when you live right next to the church, it's really hard not to go over and work on something that's really pressing on your mind.

But thanks for the challenge to keep first things first. Keep it real.........

Jeff

John Shaver said...

Great thoughts! I was thinking about a lot of those things on vacation and already started to forget -- thanks for unintentionally reminding me (or was it unintentional)? Have a blessed Sunday! Grace and Peace, John

Brett Probert said...

Thanks Corben. I think I am going to Victory on Wednesday.

Jeff, true story. We press on!

John, can't wait to see you Monday. I haven't seen you practically all summer. Have a good weekend.

Greg Cox said...

I like the Blog, but what up with the French. You know we don't barely speak Engligh in Pittsburgh?

Greg Cox said...

By the way - have a great Sunday!

Brett Probert said...

Greg,

I am experimenting w/ a new blog banner. I am a computer moron, and have no graphics program and wouldn't know how to use one if I did! I spoke French when I was in Africa so fermez la bouche!

BTW, have a great Sunday too.

Greg Cox said...

Sounds like some kind of cheese.

Jeff Vanderhoff said...

Hey Brett,
Great suggestions. When I was serving at my last church, Karen and I were regular attenders at the Saturday night service at Crossroads. It was extremely transformational for us, and helped us in more ways than we can imagine. Here at Bethany, there are a lot more family ministries already in place, so we haven't felt the need to look elsewhere. But it was a life saver for us when we were out in the country at a smaller, older church. BTW, glad you're still with us in blogland!

Keith H. McIlwain said...

Excellent suggestions. We've tried them, but probably not with enough passion.

Prettybird said...

All I know is I'd miss you if you didn't blog. And, while it's good to be vigilent about how you spend your time and conduct yourself, from one worrier to another, perhaps you shouldn't be so hard on yourself. There is probably no completely right way to do things and your desire to do the best speaks volumes.

Now I have to go to work and babysit the hostess staff.

love,
r

Greg Cox said...

What happened to the French?

Chris said...

It must have surrendered.

Jackie said...

Brett,
I too cruise around blogland for inspiration from all the 'deep thinkers' on here. Randy is also my muse. My blog was a joy when I was away at school because it was anonymous, however, since I've been back, I've had trouble making entries since there is so much 'baggage' attached. I find that I must walk a very tight rope most days.
As to the 'visit other churches' I haven't attended any services other than the monthly ones held by our DS, but I do attend a Bible study led by my home church pastor.
Continue the struggle.

Brett Probert said...

Jackie, keep it up! I was just on your blog, and I count Randy as a friend too. Do you wanna be added to our blogroll?

Jackie said...

If you feel I have something to add go ahead and add me, as I said, I'm struggling with what is 'public' and what is 'mine to make public'