Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Boy, Did THAT Feel Good...

So yesterday I'm driving along in my little Saturn. I had a book that I wanted to share with someone so I sat it on my front seat. Well the first red light I come to, I slow down and it slides off the seat and hits the floor. I patiently pick it up and sit it on the seat again, only to repeat the process at the next red light. Now I am starting to get irritated. So realizing that it is ridiculous to keep doing the same thing and expecting different results, I pick up the book and place it, with authority, on the dashboard. So when I pull away from the stop light, the book slides off the dashboard and, you guessed it, onto the floor. Now here is where I get really mature. I picked the book up off of the floor, then I wailed back to the floor with great force! (In my mind I was thinking "Fine, book, if that is where you want to be, then that is where you WILL be, ">#*%@)$*!!!")

As I drove along, I began to laugh. How silly I was acting...like a 3 year old!!! And yet, how much better I felt as I drove along with that book sitting in punishment on the floor. Yeah, I'm a big boy now!

So Lord, thanks for not slamming to the ground when I don't stay where you put me. You're SO much more mature than me! Thanks for being willing to, ever-so-slowly, make me like you...

9 comments:

Barb said...

Your little meladrama reminds me of something that Greg Cox would do....it caused me to laugh with noise as I sit here at the computer.

More important is the message you brought to my conscious mind. That was priceless! Thanks

B~

Anonymous said...

Your book must be friends with some water bottles in my car. Have a blessed rest of the week. Grace and Peace...

Anonymous said...

I read your blog and started to smile and then laugh! This happens to me in my car with my hundred pound purse--it even spills out. I fuss about it, and it makes me a little angry. My girls say why do you have to this hundred pound purse here to fall over? I think it's a security thing. They have said mom put it somewhere in the car where it won't move, and it will not fall over. Yes, my girls are right this time. I hate to admit it, but then I started thinking...I don't have to be consumed with it sitting right next to me. It's definitely here in the car with me. So, the next time I want to put it on the seat by me I will laugh and think of you with your book, and not get mad--just laugh! You made my day!
ha ha. From one stop light picker upper to another...Sandy Morris

Greg Cox said...

Was that completely necessary, Barb?

Dayton D. Mix said...

And I thought I was the only one who 'punished' inanimate objects like that! Good point, though! THANKS!

Anonymous said...

I sent this reply yesterday but it never showed up sooo I repeat.
"That sounds like a chip off the old block!!!"

Unknown said...

Brett,

Was it the book with the ISBN 0711216126 being called to where it belongs?

Now you have to look :)

Keith H. McIlwain said...

Give peace a chance.

Charlotte said...

Wow... someone else acts like a 3-year old once in a while, too! If it falls on the floor 3 times, I just leave it there, and curse it. So the story goes...