Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Ping Pong Ball Brain

The staff of Cornerstone went on a mini retreat yesterday. We went to Moraine State Park for a gorgeous day of team building, Bible study, and honest reflection about ourselves and our calling to ministry. I am so blessed to work with Pat, Laura, and Lori. They are awesome, and the four of us are having fun working together, truly, as a team. This is such a blessing and a "pastoral ministry career" dream of mine come true.

One of the revelations about me that keeps coming to the surface is, as Lori puts it, my ping pong ball brain. My thoughts just bounce around inside my head and they never seem to settle down. I'm always thinking of too many things at once!

So what is the resolution to this? How do I cope? What do I need to do to give up some of the worrying in there, and the solving issues that may not even exist? Well, I believe the answer, as always, is given by God. He revealed this answer to me through Paul in 2 Corinthians 10:5: "...take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ."

So Lord, for all those ping pong thoughts in my head, I take them captive and make them obedient to you. Thanks for the help!!! Hey look at that butterfly...

10 comments:

Jeff Kahl said...

Brett -
I have a fair share of ping-pong balls in my head as well, so I can relate. I really have to train my mind to just be still. Going on walks and just focusing on the beauty of nature---rather than on everything internally---has helped me out a lot.
As for your staff retreat at Moraine: I applaud you all for doing that. I think it's so important for the staff of a church to build intentional prayer relationships, so Satan can't drive a wedge between them and create a "Corinthian" situation. So keep it up, bro!
Cheers.................

Greg Cox said...

One word - Ritalin!

Barb said...

What butterfly?

Greg Cox said...

Sounds like you have a ping pong ball brain too, Barb.

Now pay attention Barb. Brett was talking about how he is easily distracted. Things seem to flow in and out of his thought process at rapid speeds. Something as small as a "butterfly" could float by and his attention would . . .

Oh, forget it.

Keith H. McIlwain said...

Amen, Brett. I'm thanking God for the work of you and your team and praying God continues to bless.

Barb said...

:-/

smkyqtzxtl said...

Some have linear laser brains, some are divergent thinkers.......divergent?

Randy Roda said...

Thanx for your friendship. and thanx for the leadership your are giving. Look for my sister, Roberta Love, they're are coming to check you guys out.

Corben said...

Go Brett! you never stop amazing me. Taking quiet time is very under practiced and overlooked.

Shalom

John Shaver said...

No wonder we get along. I've got the ping pong disorder too. Have a blessed weekend. Grace and Peace, John