Friday, January 25, 2008

I Have a Secret...


...and it is hidden in an old clock! Just kidding! My real secret is that I have been reading Nancy Drew stories lately (and am just starting into the Hardy Boys)! Why, you ask, would a grown man (insert nasty comments now!) read Nancy Drew? Well, when we were on our retreat, Carla and I rediscovered the art of reading for FUN! I read the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and then remembered reading these mystery stories as a kid. So, I have been securing these fun novels from my local library and losing myself in a world of innocence and goodness. What a blast.

It is helping me to, as the Lord said through Paul, "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable-if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-think about such things." (Philippians 4:8)

8 comments:

Jackie said...

I loved Nancy Drew as a tween. What I didn't understand was how a sixteen(?) year old girl was allowed to drive around with a suitcase in her car in case she didn't make it home at night.

Anonymous said...

I never read Nancy Drew much, but my love of reading started at an early age. I find it to be a very relaxing "escape".

Unknown said...

Reading...? For fun...? I thought school-assigned books killed that concept eons ago.

Renaye said...

I love Nancy Drew. You know there are books where the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew team up! Those were always my fav!

Greg Cox said...

When you left the other day, you started an entire discussion about the Hardy Boys and Nacy Drew at the Coffe Shop.

Brett Probert said...

I'm offended that you would talk about that without me present.

Jeff Kahl said...

Brett -
I just finished "The Secret Agent on Flight 101" (a Hardy Boys book!).
I used to love reading those as a kid (and yes, I did read some of the Nancy Drew books too).
Definitely a good idea!
Jeff

Brett Probert said...

Jeff, I've been reading Hardy Boys too and just finished the Secret of the Old Mill. Good schtuff.