Monday, March 17, 2008

(in a squeaky, elderly woman's voice) I have some good news...

So in one of the churches we have served, there is this elderly couple. The woman was blind in one eye and had macular degeneration in the other. She, of course, was no longer able to drive and was about 86 years old. Her husband, who'll I'll call "Pappy" was 84 and had numerous health problems. He had several major heart attacks and had bypass surgery several times. He had suffered several major strokes and was completely paralyzed on his left side. The two enjoyed a cup of coffee and a donut from the local gas station where they went each morning to get the local paper. Pappy was the driver.

After one of his lengthy hospital stays, I had gone to visit them in their apartment. It was probably 95 degrees in there and Pappy was sitting in his usual spot, the wheelchair. I visited for a while, feeling badly for Pappy. Here was this once vibrant man who was slouching in his wheelchair, barely able to hold his head up to look over at me. He was nearly drooling from his gaping mouth, but still smiling and pleasant as ever.

After a little break in the conversation, his nearly blind wife in her small squeaky voice says with a big smile, "We have some good news...." Now I'm expecting the announcement of a new great grandchild, or that Pappy was able to secure an electric wheelchair, or something like that. But no, she says "We have some good news...Pappy's driving again!"

Now all that to say...I have some good news...Bretty's driving again!

Good news is open to interpretation....

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You may want to clean your car of any water bottles that may be rolling around. :)

Chris said...

RRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris said...

Seriously though... stay away from Cranberry.

Barb said...

Good news for sure! I am with Pappy, if he feels up for it, go for it!

Chris said...

Obviously, you've never driven with our older brother.

Greg Cox said...

Was that story about Barb?

Anonymous said...

So I guess this means if I'm driving in Cranberry with my windows down and hear some loud, obnoxious road rager screaming his bald head off at someone because they didn't signal before switching lanes, I can automatically expect it to be you?

Brett Probert said...

Yes, yes, YES!!!