Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Results!

So I was having lunch yesterday with a few friends who are in ministry in their own right, albeit not pastoral ministry. We were talking about the frustrations of not seeing results. I've said this before, but it is foundational to who I am: I love to work with my hands. I believe the reason is because I love to see results. I like to be able to step back and see what I've accomplished. Now in ministry, that is not always very tangible or attainable, and it can be very frustrating. It is not that I don't see results from my life's calling, it is just that those results are not as obvious as if I clean up the garage!

Now maybe the problem here is that I've relegated ministry to things that are too far removed from direct, life-transforming activities with people. Maybe this whole idea of "the church" leads to a false sense of godliness when in reality God desires not a "church" but people who are radically changed. I'm pretty sure that Jesus was able to put His head on the pillow (read: stone!) at night and tangibly enumerate His results for the day.

What say you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is said that John Welsley would go over a list of things done and left undone during the day (and then ask forgivenss I suppose). Big things are accomplished by doing little things right each and every day. Sometimes we only want to be involved or do big things, yet little things add up. The great wall of China was built one block at a time. Well I guess I better go pray for my forgiveness.