Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Road to Life...


So when I was a kid, we had this stupid sister-imposed rule called "own places."  That meant that when we were taking a trip in our 1970 Dodge Coronet (actually ours was a four door in Burnt Orange Metallic...with vinyl seats...) my sisters would yell "own places" and that meant we had to sit in our assigned seats in the back.  Felicia, the eldest and self-appointed boss, sat on the left side by the window.  Brenda, who is a ridiculous 3 minutes older than me but who lords it over me as if it were decades, sat on the right side by the window.  That meant that my spot was, you guessed it, in the middle, on the "hump."  (Please refer to 70's vintage rear wheel drive cars for a point of reference, all you youngin's)

The blessing in that was I had a great vantage point to watch dad drive....left arm on the window and right hand at twelve o'clock on the wheel.  It drove me nuts to see him always moving that right hand slowly back and forth as we drove along, even on a straight road.  So I finally spoke up one day to ask why he couldn't just hold the wheel straight.  He explained that the art of driving a car is that you're always correcting...at any given time you're heading slightly to the right or to the left, and that the trick was to be aware of that and be in the process of correction.

Now that has become a bit of a metaphor for my life.  You know, Jesus said that the road to life is a narrow road...and I think He might mean that as we walk through this life, we're on a journey, in a process.  The trick is to keep moving, and to be always correcting...seeking to keep our eyes and our life focused on Jesus.

So what's my point?  As usual, I'm not sure!  But I think to say that life is a process.  That we need to be always correcting our path.  That we need to be staying out of the ruts.  That the road to life is exactly that...it's a road.  Ya, that's probably it.

Oh yeah, and that sisters are bossy...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very great analogy and lesson. Oh, yeah sisters are bossy. Imagine 4 of them and all older, much older - ha. Thanks, Bro. Made me think. Tom/Tommy H.