Monday, December 14, 2009

Reflections on Shopping


So I was doing some Christmas shopping on Saturday.  I spent some time at the Ross Park Mall.   Incredible...a bunch of rude, sorrowful, pushy, selfish people gathered in one place ostensibly to celebrate the birth of the Savior of the world!  I mean, I had a good time, but more because I just treated it as an adventure and a study of humanity.

I was also shopping in the Strip District in the 'burgh.  If you've never been there, shame on you!  It was a totally different experience.  The streets and stores were jammed, but the attitude of people seemed very different.  People were polite, smiling, and seemingly enjoying their time together. 

In fact, I was in one store and was standing waiting to check out.  The lady at the cash register was older and was super friendly despite the fact that you could barely move in this little hole-in-the-wall place.  There were like 7 people in line, but it didn't bother her at all.  She greeted each guest with a hearty Merry Christmas.  The person in front of me was an acquaintance of hers and as he prepared to leave, she leaned over the counter and gave him a big hug.

I was next and she rang me up and I handed her my money and she gave me the change, I remarked that I must not have been as lucky a customer because I didn't get a hug.  She reached over the counter and gave me the biggest bear hug and said with a grin Merry Christmas.   I left the store with a huge smile on my face, and saw the other patrons smiling too.

Now I'm nearly done with my shopping, but do you have any guesses where I'm going back to?

6 comments:

cindyatnits said...

Wow, what a nice blog. I agree with you wholeheartedly which is why I work for Neighbors in the Strip, the Community Development Group for the Strip District, whose mission is to promote economic development opportunities, while preserving the personality, integrity and character of the Strip This neighborhood is a treasure for the City of Pittsburgh, something we take for granted, but other parts of the country long for. One of the things I love about the Strip is that the people love what they are doing and it shows in their attitude. They also love to share their knowledge - I always say, "ask a question, get an education." Anyway...glad you enjoyed the Strip. Would you mind if we quoted you in our NITS-e-gram (out online newsletter)?

Brett Probert said...

Cindy...that would be awesome. I always love going to the Strip...we are moving to the city next month and look forward to being only 4 miles from there. Saturday tradition! Feel free to quote my blog...send me a link to the newsletter, I'd love to read it. Thanks!

Brett

Greg Cox said...

Great stuff! I should try blogging.

Brett Probert said...

You should!!!!

cindy@nits said...

Thank you. The next NITS-e-gram will be going out in mid-January. You can subscribe on our webpage (www.neighborsinthestrip.com) - which you may want to do since you'll be moving so much closer. I'm a recent transferee to the city from McCandless...love not having to commute any more!

Brett Probert said...

Will do. Thanks Cindy!!!