Saturday, January 02, 2010

What's "New?"


So as I sit here at the dawn of a new year, I wonder what's new.  As I continue my journey to know what God has in store for me next, I wonder what's new.  I know that 2010 will be a year of significant changes, and many new things, but I wonder what's new.  If only we could see down the road to know where we'll be walking, but then that is not God's mysterious way!

One thing I wonder is why so many people are called to start new churches, but so few are called to start new ministries.  Many have asked me "are you going to start your own church?"  The answer on about 14 different levels is NO.  Part of my struggle with that is in the question itself..."own church."

Part of it is that so many seem to be starting churches in affluent areas (like Cranberry Township) and yet churches in places like Bellevue are going under.  I believe part of the reason for that is "church" is still popular with the relatively wealthy, but ministry is what is needed to the masses (and I would argue, by the Lord Himself).  Because churches tend to focus on themselves (despite good attempts and mission statements to the contrary), ministry sometimes doesn't happen as well through the church.  Plus churches tend to generate capital, and especially if you start one in an affluent area.  But ministry takes resources, financial and otherwise, in order to "succeed."  In other words, starting ministries is so much harder than starting churches...but did Jesus say this would be easy?

So as I wonder what's new, I know for me it is NOT starting a new church.  But one thing I do ponder is whether God is calling me to start a new ministry somewhere in the Pittsburgh area.  What's new?  Who knows...but you can join me in praying about it...

4 comments:

Keith H. McIlwain said...

Amen! I've also been concerned by our habit of starting new ministries in places of $ with mostly white folks. I've been very encouraged by Keith Kaufold's ministry.

Know that we are praying for you.

Matt said...

I'm going to be involved in starting a new church in 2010, and it's something that I can't wait to do! I believe that we MUST be starting new churches if we are going to be about Kingdom work of reaching people with Gospel of Christ. There are way too many people, especially young people, who aren't engaged in the churches we currently have and who wouldn't darken the doors of existing churches, so we must be willing to rethink some of that (in more than a marketing way!) if we're going to be fulfilling the call of Christ. I also believe that even if we filled every existing church in our communities to standing room only, there still would not be enough room for the people who don't know Jesus. Now, this won't be "my" church...my hope and prayer is that it will be Christ's church, but I think that the mandate to start new churches is strong. I'm not disagreeing that we need to start new ministries as well, but we must be starting new churches that will reach people with the Gospel.

Just a few thoughts from a recent church-planting convert.

Ben said...

I am on the praying bandwagon for you and I think that you are making a wise and wonderful decision. I can only hope that you minister to children/adults in need! You are what keeps people going and what people look forward too. At least me!
Helene

Brett Probert said...

Keith...thanks!

Matt...I'm with you. In fact I am currently pastoring a new church plant. I'm praying for you on your journey and I appreciate your prayers for me on mine.

Helene...thanks!