Sunday, March 14, 2010

Final Report Card Installment

For those of you tiring of my "report card" series (not the least of which is me...I get bored easily!), I am including here my final "grades."  
  •  Don’t worry about opposition…
  •  Ignore criticism…
  •  Don’t expect immediate results…
I admit I failed a lot on the first.  I think that is perhaps my greatest struggle and subsequent failure in pastoral ministry.  I was too afraid of people opposing me.  In other words, I caved in to the pressure to be a "people pleaser" far too often.  At times, I should have been more bold in my stance and not worrying about those who might oppose me.  If God is for me, who can be against me?
As for the criticism, I was able to ignore it well at different seasons of my ministry.  I have honestly never been in a position in my life, nor can I imagine one, where one is more apt to receive criticism.  I was criticized on nearly a weekly basis for things I said in messages, in prayers, how I responded or didn't respond to situations, you name it.  To be faithful in leadership, one must learn to ignore criticism.   Never is this more true than as a pastor.

And this last one has always tripped me up, although I hope I'm learning in time.  I love to work with my hands, and one reason is because I like to see what I accomplish.  In ministry, that can be a very tough thing.  Results are seldom immediate and are often difficult to see for years and years, if ever.  

I've enjoyed reflecting with y'all.  My prayer is that I, and you, can learn from Jesus and His way of dealing with others to raise up workers and witnesses for and in the Kingdom...

2 comments:

gail kynett said...

Goodness sakes, Brett, don't be so hard on yourself. These maladies are so common to man, and woman. Listen to what Pastor Eric said this morning, I scribbled like mad to get it down because it is so 'me': (in John 15) "Why are we nourished on the vine? For God's purpose. To bring pleasure to God. (here's what got me) Do I spend so much of my energy making other people smile that I don't even know how to make God smile?" You have used your amazing gifts to his glory in various ways, following your calling(s) - and you continue to do so! I am proud to call you kin.
BTW, Aren't we glad He gets the A+ grade on this one from my report card past: "Finishes work begun" Phil 1:6

Brett Probert said...

True story. I'm not being hard on myself, but I do want to learn from the journey we've been on. It's all good, because I know He has used us and He ain't done yet!