Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Report Card - Part 2

So in part two, we look at the next few items on the list:

  • Teach truths that none of your disciples can grasp at the moment 
  • Avoid crowds
    Now I think I have done a fairly good job at challenging the people God has placed within my care to grow.  I love to teach.  I think one of the reasons why I have seen some fruit from my teaching over the years is because I have tried to teach truth at a level that challenges people to grasp truths that require some wrestling!   Whether they're five or seventy-five, I love to see people "get it!"

    The next trait of Jesus in His leadership was avoiding crowds.  I think I am getting a little better at this as time progresses.  I have always been one to throw myself into my work and the people I'm with.  While this is fun and exciting and stuff, it can also drain you emotionally and spiritually.  I have, at times, paid a pretty high price for my unwillingness to avoid the crowds sometimes!  Also, when we spend too much time with crowds, we tend to follow them.  I think one of the characteristics of Jesus' ministry that made Him such a leader was His commitment to avoiding crowds.

    I'm looking forward to sharing my next "grades" soon!

    1 comment:

    Christine Knull said...

    Funny, we were just talking about these two things the other night in our discipleship class, mostly I recall talking about how Jesus always sort of sneaked away. Until I read this, what you wrote, I never really appreciated the reason why he avoided the crowd. You are so right, it becomes so easy to become what those around you are that it is necessary to pull away and study that which God wants you to become. A hard lesson to learn at times.

    by the way, this is Christine (think we met in a small village in Africa once)