Thursday, April 08, 2010

Free from "social" media...

So this morning I met a great friend for coffee...for like 2 hours.  We met in a quaint little coffee shop just up the road...The Muddy Cup in "downtown" Bellevue.  The coffee was great, the atmosphere was even better, and the conversation was phenomenal.  And it got me to thinking...

Lately, I haven't been on facebook as much.  I have been on twitter even less.  These little e-gadgets are designed to put us in community with one another.  And in a sometimes sad, often inauthentic, way they do.  I believe what these so-called "social media" tend to do is to create a sense of community which really couches the reality of isolation.  

Often, facebook updates are attempts to gain self-pity and to draw attention to oneself.  Twitter, it seems, caters more to the ego.  We tweeters tend to espouse our own intelligence, or worse, to "retweet" the insightful maxims of alleged gurus of a particular field.  And what, at least to me, tends to be the end product?  Isolation.  



And yet a conversation on the porch with Carla, my best friend in the world, is priceless.  It isn't proud, or selfish, or inauthentic in any way.  The chat in the "the farthest thing from Starbucks" coffee shop this morning is tacitly irreplaceable by any alleged "social" media. 

I'm not deleting my facebook page, or shunning twitter for eternity.  But as I find myself less and less attracted to them, I find myself having greater and more inspiring, and yes, more "social," interactions than ever!

4 comments:

Christine Knull said...

This is just the reason I have decided to blog in addition to Facebook. I refuse to Twitter, I won't add another method to my life....but blogging is more personal and I can express what I am feeling without it being "out there" for everyone to see whether they care or not. I figure a person has to make effort to look at a blog so if someone reads mine then they must have a bit more interest in what I am doing or thinking than the silly comments I make on Facebook. Most of my Facebook status updates are crazy or just shallow. I absolutely hate the ones where people either complain or sit in self pity just looking for someone to attempt to cheer them up. It is so shallow.

Thanks for your blog, and you know, at least one person is reading ;)

Anonymous said...

Check this out -it is hysterical at the end and it makes your point very well.

http://tinyurl.com/d32yf8
jaye

Paula said...

Amen...the social networking trend has served the purpose of letting people be who they aren't and negatively affected people's need/ability to interact with other people-face to face, in an honest way, which is the only true way to connect. You, my friend, are so right! Hope you are both well!

Anonymous said...

Time for new blog!