Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Requiem for a Friend

A friend died of cancer this week .  She loved the things that God created for us to enjoy...flowers and plants, animals, and the people in her life.  She loved to laugh and she loved to make others laugh too.  She was a giving soul, and I was blessed to know her, albeit not as well as I would have liked....

Her passing has me down...she was too young and it seems to unfair and so hard for her husband and daughters.  The thought of not being able to be there at her daughters' wedding or being able to move to Florida to fulfill a longtime dream is such a bummer.

In her last days, her husband said to me that some things just don't seem that important in the light of what was happening.  How true...how fleeting life can be and how we seem to focus on the truly unimportant and often ignore the things that mean the most.

So today, in MB's honor, I am going to try all the more to focus on the things that mean the most to me:  My God, my wife, my family, my friends, and my ministry to a lost and hurting world.  Love and obedience...the things that God desires the most...are the things I seek to give today.

3 comments:

Stan said...

Thanks Brett. MB would've loved this.

Katie said...

Thanks Brett,
Even if you didn't know Mom as well as you would have liked, you understand her spirit just fine.

Well done.

Love,
Katie

Gerri said...

What a sad story...what a tragic loss to her family and the world. We will keep her family and friends in prayer. Love the way you posted the most important things in life...how true, we need to stop with the insignificant and focus on what God knows is most valuable to our walk in life...serving Him and TRULY loving others. Thanks for putting your heart in writing.