Monday, July 12, 2010

Feeling Very Blessed, Even if I Am Bald...

So yesterday I got to preach for the first time since I stepped away from Cornerstone.  My friend Jeff St. Clair asked me to fill in at their "contemporary" service and I did so.  I had a great time...I felt very free to share what the Lord placed on my heart and had an absolute blast doing it!

Afterward, this sweet lady started gushing about how much she enjoyed the message and how I was welcome to come preach anytime and yada, yada, yada.  And then she said "do you ever let your hair grow out?"  I swear, I'm not making this up!  The point she was making was that I might be a better preacher if I didn't shave my head...

Now this strange exchange got me to thinking.  I am truly blessed.  I love to preach, but I realize that I love that I'm free from the crosshairs (yes, pun intended) of every pew sitter (or in some cases, chair setters) and their endless need to dictate how I should live my life, right down to my hair.  I realize just how free I feel and how blessed I am to be at this stage of my life as I stare down the corridor of middle age.  (Notice I didn't indicate that I'm there yet!)  Jesus said when He sets us free, we'll be free indeed.  I feel that my life is such a living testimony to that.

I have a wonderful wife...my best friend and such a Godly influence on my life.  I am loving the ministry that God has opened for me at The Pittsburgh Project.  I have not looked back one day since I started there!  We have a gorgeous, just-our-size dream home with wonderful neighbors in a great neighborhood in the coolest city in the world.  We have some great friends, some great ways to pass the time, and a sense of calling that we are living out.  In brief, I'm feeling very blessed, even if I am bald...maybe especially because I am!  Thank you Lord!

Now if we can just decide on a church to call home so I can start to criticize  "my" pastor...

7 comments:

Unknown said...

it probably the same one who says to me, "Looks like you are trying to lose weight."

Anonymous said...

Hi Brett,

Jim Morton here. Reading between the lines a little about your blog.

I hope I never made you feel that I was critical about the way you led your life. You did a wonderful job of preaching (or should I say teaching) and I enjoyed your approach very much during your time spent at Cornerstone and also Concord. I especially enjoyed the outdoor services even though we couldn't have the campfires in Cranberry. I'm sure being under a microscope was not a relaxing atmosphere. People tend to forget that the one in charge of any church is God and it never fails that when humans begin dictating what is appropriate for churches, their members including the pastors, that is when troubles set in. I understand there have to be "key" personnel to run the daily business of church operations but sometimes some people try to control too much.

I'm glad you are happy with your new job and I wish you much success.

Now, speaking of your approaching middle age. Be thankful that you have the opportunity to do this. Just remember Jesus didn't get that chance since he was here on earth for only 33 years. And a great 33 years He spent. If this world is around for another 2000 years I'm positive no one will be thinking about me and my accomplishments during my time here. Not that I'm trying to compare myself with Him, but in 2000 more years I know He will not be forgotten as I will be.

Jeff St. Clair - What does a person look like when they are trying to lose weight. When I look in the mirror I don't see any different look on my face now than I had when I was putting my weight on.

Brett Probert said...

Jeff...the very same!!!

Jim, no. I'm just speaking in generalities, and happy for the new directions He is giving me. He had blessed me with 14 years of pastoral ministry, and I loved it. Now I'm on a new road and He has His ways of reminding me not to look back!

And good words on middle age!

Anonymous said...

I have always been amazed how "free" folks are to comment on EVERY area of me and my family's life - my hair, what time my child goes to bed, what I drive (just a honda). Just because I am your pastor does not mean I am owned by the church.

-C

Anonymous said...

I agree with the sweet lady. I think you would have been a much better preacher with more hair. I also think you used the word jerk too much. I liked it much better when I owned you as my pastor.

Just joking of course. Except for the hair thing and owning you.

It is refreshing to see you being who you really are and doing what yo really are called to do at this time. You are officially Brett Probert. Pretty cool. You have many gifts. Keep living your life brother and don't ever look back. When you do take a look back, look at all the lives you blessed. Not all the things you quit! HA HA.
BeWe

kat @ withachanceof said...

Personally one of the reasons I enjoyed you so much as a Pastor was because you were just yourself! That made everything you said stand out more, like an acctually person who went through acttaully stuff was tell me things I could believe in. But what do I know? I don't have enough "resources" to say anything *sigh*

<3 Kat

Guy said...

I just read an article about the political or social statements that hairstyles are often used to make. This article focused mostly on minorities and the uses of hair. There was definitely a lack of reflection on bald preachers/teachers. I'm glad you accept your baldness instead of feeling the need to change yourself.