Thursday, March 16, 2006

Don't quench the fire...

OK. Sounds good on paper. But how? Today, at our men's small group, we were sharing about repentance. We were talking about some of the ways we need to turn away from individual sins and turn toward God. As we read some things together, as we prayed together, as we "be'd" together, I sensed it. The Holy Spirit. The presence of Jesus Christ within me. That got me to thinking that we can't quench something we don't have! So one of the ways I have come to be in the presence of the Holy spirits fire is to be with others who are seeking to get warm too! When you go to God by reading His love letter, the Bible.... When you go to Him by seeking His dialogue in prayer.... When you go to Him and see Him putting on the flesh in your Christian colleagues.... That's when you get warm with the fire!

Now, how to go about not quenching that. Gee, could it have something to do with what the Lord says through Paul in Philippians 3:10-14? Get to know Jesus. Come face to face with Him and experience His power. Forget the garbage of yesterday, or last hour. Press on toward Him. Keep walking in the light. How? That's right...the Bible, prayer, Christian associates...

Lord, you've put the fire in me today. Thanks. Help me stay right by your flames!

2 comments:

Prettybird said...

You can't really expect me to read your post about fire and not make a comment? Is it time to let the whole "fire thing" go? Maybe you don't like to joke about it. If not, sorry. (Oh, but the jokes, the jokes!)

Brett Probert said...

Cute, real cute. I just shared the fire story a few weeks ago in a message. I was preaching on James 3...the tongue is a fire! How appropriate! Thanks for reminding me....