Tuesday, March 07, 2006

...that depends...

At Cornerstone, we have been spending some time in the New Testament book of James. This past week, the theme is Dependence on God. It sounds so simple...and yet how? I had a friend who would often tell me "Brett, just let go and let God." A great plan...but HOW?!?!?!

I guess living a life of prayer helps. That doesn't mean kneeling by your bed for 7 hours a day (ouch). But just realizing that God is with us in each step we take. Taking 5 seconds to say thanks to Him for the little blessings He throws our way constantly. Or maybe a little time in the Bible. Last year, I read through the whole Bible in a year. This year, I'm taking a different approach. I'm trying to read small amounts and just committing them to my soul. I find that this is helping me to depend on God.

What a fellowship, what a joy divine, leaning on the everlasting arms... Lord, may I lean on your arms today. Mine aren't strong enough...

3 comments:

Keith H. McIlwain said...

A friend once responded upon hearing, "Let go and let God" by saying, "We should instead be telling ourselves 'Trust God and get going'."

Brett Probert said...

A good point. Your first, I might add.

Chris said...

Brett, I like the new look of your blog...so you must have had help right?

I am in the begiinings of a six week preaching theme, "Too Busy Not To Pray". Amen that God is not so interested in the duration of our prayers as He is with our heart when we pray. If duration was a measuring stick,...well...