Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Why don't Cranberry waitresses go to church?

Are we missing the boat? I have lived in Cranberry Twp now for almost a year. I love it here. There are some pretty cool things about living in the happenin' 'burbs. One thing I love is the plethora of restaurants! And that gives me lots of discussion time with waitresses. I have discovered something very unnerving. I have not spoken to one yet who is involved in a church! Most have had some church background, but don't participate in any active way in the life of a church. When I ask what it would take to get them to come to church, I get some interesting answers. I ask you: why do you think our younger community is unchurched? What will it take for us to really reach a lost and hurting world? What will it take? I'll share some of my discoveries soon... but I'd like your input.

And, just for fun, try it! Next time you're at the restaurant, strike up the conversation and see the insights we can gain to build the Kingdom. Then leave a BIG tip as a witness that we don't want to take something from them (i.e. their money) but we want to give them something!

3 comments:

Jan said...

I think one thing that could help here is a simple personal invitation. Is anyone inviting anyone to church anymore? I don't think so. Why should they? Is it really changing their lives?

For an analogy...if I went to eat at a great restaurant and it was the most satisfying meal I ever ate, so much so that I never would want to eat anywhere else... I would recommend it to everyone who was hungry. Right? I'd be a living advertisement for that eatery.

Well, we should be the same about our encounter with Jesus, the Living Water, the Bread of Life. We need to be a living billboard for transformed lives through Christ. Then maybe people will want what we have because it MEANS something.

Prettybird said...

Did you know that Bishop Bickerton makes a habit of talking with waitresses, too? I think the church needs to be absolutely truthful (the unchurched are way too smart to be tricked into attending church) and joyful. For cryin' out loud, how many boring, down in the dumps, negative Christians do you know? I know quite a few. If a Christian doesn't have anything to be happy about why would someone else want to join up?

Brett Probert said...

helene...great comments...we need to talk. what is the greater goal they're searching for? how can we show them that we've found it? how would you have responded when you were waitressing? what would have turned you off?

jan and robyn...amen. show them the BREAD and they'll "eat with us"