Tuesday, May 16, 2006

I burned the pies because I was reading your blog...

Carla and I went home on Friday for a celebration of Mother's Day with our moms. Our first stop was Salix where my mom and dad still reside. When I walked in the house, I thought that maybe my older sister was flying in from Boise ID because mom had baked pies. We all know that mom loves her best. Anyhow, I knew mom had baked pies because there was a blue haze filling the house and the distinct stench of burnt fruit mixed with a variety of scents from candles and potpourri jars spread around the home. Mom explained that she put the pies in the oven, then went to the computer to read my blog. She was so enthralled with my musings that she failed to notice the house filling with acrid smoke. Dad walked into the kitchen only to observe the billows pouring from the oven vents. He promptly warned mom that the time may have come for her to STOP READING MY BLOG AND COME FIGHT THE FIRE!!!

Now why do I share this story? I offer it for several reasons, I suppose. First of foremost, to irritate my mom. This is the primary responsibility of any son, and I try hard as the only son to live it out. Ask her about the mother's day song I sang for her. ("M" is for the many times you hit me...) Better yet, ask her about the one she composed in response!

Secondly, I share it because it is a metaphor for my life. How many times do I set about something important when I am drawn away by something less? How often do I put myself to the joy of prayer when I find myself doing something godless? How is that when I sit down to come to know the Author in reading the Bible do I find my thoughts distracted to the mundane, or worse, profane?

So here is my prayer, which is my direct paraphrase of Proverbs 4:25-27. "May my eyes look straight ahead, may I fix my gaze directly before me. Lord, make level paths for my feet and take only ways that are firm. Do not let me swerve to the right or the left; keep my foot from evil."

Thanks God. I need that. Now can you help me get the blue smoke out of my life?

1 comment:

Chris said...

Brett - I think you and I are thinking on the same wavelength. God is so good, why would we want anything else?