Thursday, May 25, 2006

YUCK! I stepped in gum...

Yesterday as I spent the day just walking and talking with the Lord, I was so blessed. I hope He was too. I went to the local parks and just spent time talking with Him about my faithfulness today and about the pressures I am feeling. You know as Cornerstone grows and matures, it is a time of great excitement. It is also a time of feeling the heat. There are great expectations upon us at every turn. Many of those are self-imposed, but they are all very real! So I was really trying to talk with God about how to balance it all. He has some neat things to share with me, some of which I'll share here over the next few days.

But as I was walking along, I was paying no real attention to where I was going. Then I felt it. That icky feeling of knowing that you stepped in "something." I stopped and looked as my heart sank...yes, it was gum. Disgusting. My first thought was to blame the careless litterbug who had disposed of it on the path. But then I sensed God reminding me that I some responsibility in it too. I failed to see where I was going. I was too distracted by things around me to notice what was right before me. And so I walked along in that classic "I'm trying to wipe gum from the bottom of my Birkenstocks" gait...a feat that never works.

The rest of my journey, I had this annoying thought of the gum on the bottom of my shoe. Something so stupid and so small could cripple my ability for a time...how silly. And then the Lord reminded me of a favorite verse:

1 John 1:9 "If we confess our gum, He is faithful and just to forgive our gum and to cleanse us from all our gummyness." (MOWV) (My Own Words Version!)

Jesus, thank you. Take the stupid gum from my shoe...and help me to watch where I'm walking today.... Thanks!

8 comments:

Jan said...

You own Birkenstocks?

Chris said...

Geez Jan, I think you totally missed the whole point. The real question is "Brett, what kind of gum was it?"

Brett Probert said...

Jan,

They're pretty much all I wear.

Chris,

It was Bubblicious, green apple.

Now did ANYONE get the point?

Keith H. McIlwain said...

Keep focus, don't be distracted by gum. "The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing."

Keith H. McIlwain said...

Another good illustration would have been born had you stepped in excrement.

Jan said...

Seriously now, I really liked your blog. I pray God keeps me from those sticky distractions too. Thanks for writing it Brett (and for letting us have some fun with you today.)- C & J

Anonymous said...

Another point would be - Keeping your mind in your world only gets Bubblicious on your shoe. The real question is did you stop to smell the "Green Apple"?

Anonymous said...

Great site lots of usefull infomation here.
»