Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Train Wreck!

OK, it wasn't actually a train wreck, it was more like a car wreck.

OK, it wasn't actually a car wreck, it was more like a fender-bender.

OK, it wasn't actually a fender bender, but I did hit another vehicle yesterday with my van. The evidence is clearly on the front bumper. It was that crazy Cranberry rush-hour traffic and someone ran a red-light and pulled right in front of me. I slammed on the brakes, locked up all fours, and skidded to a near stop just in time for my bumper to smash into his tire. What happened next was amazing. He acted as if he never saw me, and just kept on driving. He got in his lane and headed on his merry way, and I got in my lane and headed on my merry way. It was as if he didn't even notice.

Now you're asking, why is he telling me this? Well, it actually dovetails with a conversation I had with someone this morning who was telling me of an experience on vacation in South Carolina where they met some people who actually worship the church in Florida where the former pastor of Cornerstone now serves. They met on the beach and struck up conversation over, of all things, a silly T-shirt.

That got me to thinking...how many opportunities does God put in our path that we just miss because we are going OUR way? How many times does He run right into the side of the vehicle of our life, only to have us respond in complete and utter apathy?

Lord, forgive me. When you need to get my attention today, please let me pull out in front of you. Jesus, thanks for being willing to wear my "tire marks" on your "bumper."

4 comments:

Keith H. McIlwain said...

Glad you're OK. Relatively, anyway.

Brett Probert said...

Keith,

And also with you!

Anonymous said...

I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»

Anonymous said...

Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
»