Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Jesus, be the center...

I'm preparing for a five week message series this Fall entitled Jesus, Be the Center. I am excited to preach it, maybe because it is what I need to hear most right now. This has been the craziest summer of my pastoral career, sans doute. My struggle is to keep Him at the center. The busyness of the church, the politics, the sickness and brokeness, the many voices calling from every direction...all because I'm called. But I'm called by Jesus...first, and foremost. How do I hear His voice first, loudest, and last? How do I keep Him at the center?

Lord, hear my call for peace. Let me take your burden upon me. Let me be humbled for you. Let the callouses of my life be scraped away, that I might be ever sensitive to your leading...your calling...your presence...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never questioned a word in the Bible, but now I realized that is because I have never read it like I am now. Please pray for me since I am struggling with Corinthians 14. Even you asked me to preach, right? Women should be silent in church? Wow, please preach on this someday and help me understand.

Brett Probert said...

Wendy,

First of all, I'm glad you're wrestling with the Word sister! That's how you keep Jesus as the center! When we start to really study it, our faith moves from being a crutch to understanding the heart of God. And that ain't an easy thing to do, but it is awesome, and His ultimate desire.

I will preach on this someday...thanks for asking. In the meantime, I'm going to email you a Bible study that I put together one time entitled "Women in Ministry". Maybe we can work through it by email and it can bring some light to this issue.

Keith H. McIlwain said...

Preach on, brother.