Thursday, September 28, 2006

Against the Wind?

You remember the Seger song "Against the Wind." If you're reading this, chances are you do. Do you ever feel like that? Sometimes I wonder why it feels like living a faithful Christian life is like running against the wind. I know I feel that way as a pastor. There are so many agendas and so many issues. The church needs so much leadership and so much direction. People have physical needs, emotional needs, and spiritual needs to be met. And sometimes it seems that at every turn, there is a battle. A difference in opinion or a difference in approach. A difference in theology or a difference style. And at those times I am tempted to sing "against the wind."

But NO! We don't run against the wind. In Christ, we have been set free. In Scripture, the Holy Spirit is often compared to the wind. So we run WITH the wind. And yes, we run in victory.

So what do we run against? Because the "against" part is undeniable! I believe we are running against Satan. And here is a Spiritual fact that may fly in the face of conventional wisdom: the harder and faster you run with the Wind (Holy Spirit), the more resistance you will face from Satan.

So, I will count it joy. Because I must be doing something right...otherwise, I wouldn't be feeling so much "resistance"...

No comments: