Tuesday, September 26, 2006

OK, I gotta give this up...

...caffeine, that is. I got hooked on Starbucks. Great coffee, but man does it wire me. I am naturally a little wired anyhow (one of God's jokes!), but with those beans surging through my blood, look out. God told me loudly and clearly yesterday: STOP IT!

We at Cornerstone are in the middle of trying to place Jesus at the center of our very lives. We want Him to be the center of our salvation, our faith, our hope, our joy, our church. As I plod through our daily devotions over these past weeks, I am being convicted about letting the big and the little things be in the center instead of Jesus. I don't need caffeine to wake up to, I need Him.

So, I quit (again!) Please pray for me. You may also want to stay away from me for a few days! But I am clinging to the promise of God in Psalm 126:5 "Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy." The pain of no coffee might make me cry a little over the next few days, but ah the joy!

3 comments:

Keith H. McIlwain said...

Best wishes on a successful rehab.

Brett Probert said...

Ben, thanks for reminding me!

Prettybird said...

You can make it without the caffeine! For me, it's Diet Mt. Dew. I don't depend on it so much because I don't keep it in the house, but it's my beverage of choice. Having the four kids coming at me in the morning is like having my own little Red Bull I.V...no need for coffee. By the way, if you get a really bad "no-caffeine" headache, take Excedrin. (It has caffeine in it!)
Seriously, you'll feel so much better without it!