Thursday, November 30, 2006

#*@&*$*!

The "F bomb."

This is one reason I go to the gym. Because at the gym, I get to hear the "F bomb."

I often joke that when I announced that I was going to be a pastor, a miracle occured. All of my friends and family immediately stopped swearing! It's a miracle! (or could it be that people get this goofy notion that I have some power to send them to hell for swearing...?)

And I spend so much time with Christians, which is part of my job, of course. But I never get to hear the "F bomb."

Not that I want to hear it, per se. But I know it is out there. And my life devoid of the "F bomb" lulls me into thinking that we live in a world full of Christians.

Ah, but at the gym, I am reminded "au contraire." For at the gym, people don't seem to know or care that I am a pastor. And so they drop the "F bomb" on me. For me, a powerful reminder of why Jesus got Himself into these kind of situations....

2 comments:

Keith H. McIlwain said...

Amen. While I don't completely agree with his intent, Billy Joel's words strike me often...

"I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints; the sinners are much more fun."

Anonymous said...

After being away for a week of deer hunting, I don't know whether I should confess my sins or say "Amen." I am reminded of my own experience when telling my college friends of my call to ministry, many responded by either laughing, or saying "Does that mean we have to clean up our act too?"

Peace