Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Return to your first love...

If you know me at all, you know that I love Carla, my wife. Our first date was on my 22nd birthday...she was only 16!!! That night I kissed her...her first ever. Although I had dated before, I can say she was my first love. I still get all giddy and smushy inside when I think about her, and when I think about how I felt on the first date. Yep, she is my first love. At least in the earthly realm...

But you know, I remember when I first gave my heart to Jesus. I was raised in a church going home and had the "religion," but I still remember when I knew beyond a doubt that God was real and that He wanted to be in a relationship with me. Talk about giddy and smushy....

So why do we forget? I'm preaching on Revelation 2:1-7 this Sunday...which you can read HERE. In this text, Jesus encourages the church at Ephesus (and I'm guessing the church at Cranberry) to return to their first love. It seems that the church in Ephesus may have gotten caught up in all the churchy stuff and in their busyness, forget why they were the church. Boy does that hit home.

Who is your first earthly love? What about in the eternal realm? How can we help each other to return to Him?

4 comments:

Chris said...

I'm sure that puddy is very happy with your post...

Brett Probert said...

Thanks...jerk!

Anonymous said...

If I leave a comment here today, I may have to then respond to someone tomorrow. I will make this somewhat more lenghty than yesterday. Maybe quid pro quo. Yours one day, Chris's next. Course I can't say anything pithy to his wife because she really doesn't know me that well. That means that Chris is going to have to get on the ball and write more.

For the record. My first love is my dear wife, Tracy. And to add to that - I don't think that I have ever felt a more instantaneous love than when my children were first born. Talk about love at first sight.

Peace my friends.

Keith H. McIlwain said...

As a musician once sang, "There is no love like the love of your first love." That's true for both Jesus and Robyn. Have a good holiday!