Tuesday, December 12, 2006

See? I am doing a new thing!

Well, not me exactly. Rather, the Lord. Check it out:

In Isaiah 43:18-19, the Lord God says "Forget the former things;do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland." (NIV)

It seems to me that a recurring theme in Scripture is newness. Our God is never satisfied with the status quo...He is always leading us onward and upward as we seek to honor Him and build His Kingdom. We cannot do that standing still, and we cannot do that dwelling on the past.

Today, I am meeting with some friends in the Homestead section of Pittsburgh to talk about how a church can be planted in this community. I am excited for the possibilities. It is a new thing, and a chance for God to make a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland. Sounds like Kingdom building to me!

Also, I'm very proud to serve the Lord through Cornerstone Church. We have not forgotten our roots, and we prove it by financially supporting new church starts...including the newest Pittsburgh Mills plant and the Hot Metal Bridge Faith Community. Keep up the great work Cornerstone!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, do I get way too comfortable with the routine and the way things have always been. I even catch myself saying every so often that I hate change. I need these types of reminders that change is good, new things are good, because they are always from God. Check that - they are always good when they come from God. That is something that I also need to be reminded of constantly.

Oh - how we need to continue to seek God and his righteousness in new ways. I look forward to seeing what God can do through us.

Brett Probert said...

Greg,

I ended up having to cancel my participation in the meeting, but I am humbled too. I just met with some of my faithful worship brainstormers to talk about a message series in March that we're calling "One Hour Heroes"...focusing on asking our people to give one our each week in ministry in our community. We, the church, need to be less focused on us and moreso on the lost.