Tuesday, January 23, 2007

So Carla says to me...

.... it must be really tough to come up with fresh material to preach on each week. You know, I never really thought about it! I've been preaching for 10 1/2 years and I never really stopped to consider that it is challenging to prepare material and keep it fresh. Now it could be she was saying that because she doesn't think it is fresh!!! I hope not.

I guess I am just asking the Lord today for wisdom. Show me how to tell your timeless message afresh and anew this week. May your Holy Spirit transform my life and my thoughts that I might truly be an instrument for you. Speak through me, or in spite of me...

2 comments:

Keith H. McIlwain said...

It can be a problem, and it's so easy to just fall into a rut of preaching on our pet issues (whether that might be penitence, the new birth, suffering heaven, or social things like poverty or war).

I've found that the lectionary keeps me honest, and forces me to deal with passages I might otherwise ignore.

I've also recently been reading a fiction series by Lynn Austin about Hezekiah, whcih has given me fresh insights & inspiration concerning Old Testament stuff, which I too often ignore (the first book is called Gods & Kings, if you want to look into it).

Thankfully, the Spirit has given us an abundance of good material in the Scriptures! Praise God...and keep it fresh!

Anonymous said...

I always feel refreshed and refueled for the next week with your sermons. Thanks for working so hard to give us food to live by.
I am so glad that you have Carla too!
S Morris, Joyful!