Monday, February 12, 2007

Alone With God...

Why is it so hard to find...that time and space and energy to be alone with Him? The Psalmist says in Psalm 42:1-2 "As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God?" I wonder how he answered that? How do you? When you're feeling thirsty for His presence but you can't quite find the stream, what do you do? How do you move from that thirst to "yet I will put my hope in Him."?

3 comments:

Greg Cox said...

I sometimes think that the hardest thing about ministry is not only feeling like we are constantly in the dry wilderness, but also feeling like we are constantly being pulled away from that living water by others. We are constantly in the business of trying to lead others to the water, and trying to get them to drink. Then, what do they say? You can lead a horse to water, but you can't force them to drink.

At the end of the day, I find that I am so totally exhausted sometimes.

Keith H. McIlwain said...

I hear that, Greg. Frustration is easy to experience. We are called to ministry like Isaiah 6:1-8, but often feel like Isaiah 6:9-13. Yet both passages are part our calling, and that's what I have to (constantly) remind myself.

Keith H. McIlwain said...

Brett...relating to your post, the words that come to me are "Preach faith until you have it, then because you have it, you'll preach." Preaching & ministering through the times when you can't find the stream of living water leads, eventually, to the Lord. Theoretically.