Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Lifelong Learning...

I was at a meeting of our Annual Conference yesterday regarding clergy effectiveness. We were trying to clarify what makes an effective pastor. One of the pieces we discussed was a lifelong commitment to learning. Now, I am not saying I am effective, but I will say that my effectiveness only increases with each learning opportunity. Every day of life experiences is a day that can teach us something. But we must be willing to learn. My accountability group partners and I are heading to Michigan for a few days for a conference called "Change Without Compromise." Again, this is an opportunity to learn. When I come back on Saturday, I'll be praying for the strength to grow into a better pastor for Sunday!

How about you... are you a lifetime learner? What are the latest lessons God is teaching you? How can we help each other to grow more faithful?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Brett, This might be the best way that I can talk to you from college! I read you blog and I am not sure if you have the time but you should check out the book called The Serving Leader. They discuss a lot of great points such as "The serving leader is down here unleashing the strengths, talents, and passions of those he or she serves." They talked a lot about contributing the success to everyone in the organization and taking the focus off the leaders themselves. Another great point the book makes is that leaders are individuals who are "qualified to be first, by putting others first." So I think that we all need to remember that God is the heart of our church, being our focus and drive, but you (Brett) cannot alone be the back bone but instead it is the work of us all that allow our church to stand ( and God's blessing). Although I am not done reading the book yet, I have enjoyed it. The book is short but powerful. (from Justin T.)

Brett Probert said...

Justin,

Cool! Thanks for sharing and I'll pick up a copy of it. You are very right indeed! I hope all is well down "south"! Be blessed man!

Chris said...

Good post Brett. I wish I could go with you...so take good notes, actually pay attention and fill me in when you get back!

Brett Probert said...

Chris,

I would text you, but, well, you know.

Keith H. McIlwain said...

Safe travel, brother.

Greg Cox said...

You can't text Chris, so text me. Safe travels and I wish I were able to go.

Corben said...

Hey, I like this post a lot.

I love to learn. I have for a long time. I experience a love for learning beyond an understanding that we need to continually learn, even though this is true. I am very thankful for this gift.