Thursday, March 01, 2007

The BIG difference...

Last night, I was invited to participate in the discussion with one of our small groups. (Actually, the group is growing very nicely and isn't so small anymore!) The question was around people of other faiths and what the differences are and is Jesus really the way. Good stuff.

I want to summarize the crux of the discussion because it is a point that I think I sometimes fail to adequately make:
The difference between Christianity and any religion is this: A religion is a pathway to some supreme reality. Christianity is a pathway from that supreme reality (God) to humanity.
Don't miss that...because it is HUGE! Every religion of the world is some attempt to overcome issues in this life to achieve some higher state, of our own accord. Christianity is just the opposite...it is the realization that we cannot achieve some higher state on our own. It is the realization that God loves us first...and proves that on the cross. The rest of our existence in this world is simply a response to that love, not an attempt to earn it.
BIG DIFFERENCE!

23 comments:

Shawn Manley said...

Hey, found your blog, and thought it was great, it was refreshing to read! Thanks, it's nice to read something without having to overt my eyes, lol!

Keith H. McIlwain said...

Questions: Is "Christianity" the path from God to humankind, or is "Jesus" that pathway?

Also, you said that Christianity is A pathway; are there others?

Brett Probert said...

A: Jesus is...

B: No others...

Keith H. McIlwain said...

Just asking. Fascinating subject(s).

And, for the record, I agree with both of your answers.

Keith H. McIlwain said...

What are you counting down with that clock?

Brett Probert said...

I'm counting down to March 16! I can't wait!

Chris said...

I love the countdown...personally I am anticipating March 1 a tad more, but whats a few days between friends?

Brett Probert said...

Chris...I know what you mean...I am so excited for the 16th at 1:00 pm. It is going to be awesome. You on the other hand have a 365 day wait for March 1 again...

Keith H. McIlwain said...

What's on March 16?

Brett Probert said...

1:00

Keith H. McIlwain said...

Is that it?

Brett Probert said...

Pretty much! I saw the countdown clock on Dayton's blog (counting down to Annual Conference...of all things) and so I wanted to countdown too. But I couldn't think of anything to countdown too so I chose this randomly. I can't wait...it is probably the most exciting thing to happen to me in a long time.

Keith H. McIlwain said...

Countdown to EASTER, brother...the most important day of the year (EVER, in fact)!

Brett Probert said...

Even more important than Annual Conference?

Keith H. McIlwain said...

I love Dayton, but he can also be a dweeb.

Chris said...

You two have really got me thinking... should I have more head tilt in my picture?

Brett Probert said...

Chris, at least you have a picture. But I think you really do. If you're going to look young and emergent, it is a must.

If you let me know when you'll publish the new pic, I'll set up a countdown timer for it.

Brett Probert said...

Chris,

I guess now I'm wondering if this is enough tilt. What do you think? No really?

Greg Cox said...

This has got to be the most comments that I have ever seen posted to a post. Digression is interesting. For the record - you have got to get a new picture, and Chris, don't change yours - emergent or not.

Keith H. McIlwain said...

What does emergent have to do with it? Brett - keep the pic!

Chris said...

Hey Cox....get a picture (with the sufficient amount of head tilt of course.)

Corben said...

Interesting post, but even more interesting is all the comments. I won't ask if all the early morning comments where done while texting each other, but it is amazing to see that many head tilting pastors awake and blogging that early :-)

Matt said...

Just so everyone knows...

I would have a clock on my blog with a countdown to Annual Conference, too. I would also have a picture with substantial head tilt. Unfortunately, I'm not smart enough to figure this whole blog thing out, so I have neither in actuality, but both in spirit.