Saturday, April 07, 2007

Why Me Lord, What Have I Ever Done...?

What a song...and what truth. That the Lord would choose me to do the work of a pastor in this world today. And have I mentioned lately how humbled I am that He has chosen me for this work in the life of the people called Cornerstone Church? We had an awesome time of worship last night...a family of believers sitting around tables sharing the word, and the Word, in songs and in communion and in Holy Communion. What a blast, and what a blessing.

Also, bishop, if you're reading this: If you ever try to send me to a church with pews instead of chairs, I may have to try to bribe you out of your decision. I am an intinerant UM pastor, but let's not take that too far!

6 comments:

Eric Park said...

Heh, heh...

I'm experiencing "chair envy," even as I type these words!

Central Highlands Church's sanctuary, beautiful as it is, is limited by the old school pew configuration--bolted down and facing forward!

This configuration, of course, doesn't mean that the worship is any less authentic. But it does make it really difficult to create a relational dynamic in worship. Furthermore, it perpetuates a liturgical "theater mentality" that emphasizes the spectacle of worship (what we can see) over a more holistic experience of praise.

I'm glad to hear that things are going so well at Cornerstone, Brett. Continued blessings.

Randy Roda said...

Brett...it's so cool that you have the flexibility you have in worship. Pews are like park benches...good for sleeping.

Chris said...

My new favorite line - Pews are like park benches...good for sleeping.

Brett, sounds like you had a great night. I will be praying for you and your flock this weekend.

P.S. - Chairs and tables rock!

Anonymous said...

Chairs, coming to CUMC this fall! (not in the Sanctuary though to all the blog readers)... Have a great Easter Brett and Cornerstone! I'm hyped tomorrow to say He is Risen!. (Even in pews it will still be cool)...
Grace and Peace, John

Greg Cox said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
~*~Snappz~*~ said...

I think it's awesome how dedicated to your faith you are. It must be amazing to have something that strong and reassuring in your life. Rock on!