Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Hey! Your real name is Mephibosheth!!

Check out 2 Samuel 9. What a cool story. David is king of Israel. He has been shown grace by God. God used him as a little boy to slay a big bully. And now, filled with that grace, seeks to allow it to overflow from his life. He remembers Saul...his enemy. You know this is God's grace, because David wants to show kindness to anyone left from Saul's family. You know who he finds? Mephibosheth. What a name, and what a guy. He is the crippled son of Jonathan. He is the nobody. He refers to himself as a "dead dog." For real...read it in verse 8. But what does David do for the dead dog? He seats him at his table...the kings table...as if he were his own son. Why? Because Mephibosheth deserved it? Earned it? Had it coming? Not so much. David did because he was filled with the grace of God.

Did you know that YOU are Mephibosheth? That I am? It is true...we are the dead dogs...the enemies of the King...and what does He do? He treats us as sons...as daughters...as worthy.

Thank you, Jesus.

Love always,
Mephibosheth

7 comments:

Keith H. McIlwain said...

Good stuff; we recently studied Mephibosheth in Sunday School. What a wonderful story... hallelujah!

Anonymous said...

This was the story that brought me into a saving relationship with Jesus Christ! Thank you for bringing this wonderful story to my mind once again.

Randy Roda said...

Thanks for the reminder. I had forgot about that guy. It is a great story

By the way...don't forget
# 673 For G.C.
I need your support!

Brett Probert said...

Randy,

You have my vote. #673 for GC...

I am leading the youth praise team again this year...maybe I'll have them compose a rap song for you.

"...yeah you know me, I'm numba 673..."

Randy Roda said...

Brett...I love it already. The rap will go great with my heavy chains, ear rings and tattoos. Maybe I need to get a posse together so I can be pimpin'...you know what I mean?

Greg Cox said...

I bet if I called up Edgar Snyder and told him that I had Mephibosheth, he could get money for me.

Brett Probert said...

Greg,

Did you work in an asbestos factory?