Monday, May 14, 2007

Messiness, the sequel

Well, here it is, "tomorrow." I said on Wednesday that "tomorrow" I would share a followup story. Ooops...how time flies. And my friend, John Shaver, reminded me of it. Thanks John.

So anyhow, back in the 90's (I think it was 1998) on a dry, windy March day, I decided to burn the old hollow wooden doors that had graced our New Paris parsonage. Um, that was dumb. Anywho, to make a long story short, I ended up burning 45 acres! Lots of brown fields and forest, there was. And a melted garage... After helping the fire companies to douse the flames for nearly four hours, I headed back down the ridge to our parsonage. There was my loving wife Carla waiting for me. I had done the most stupid thing in my life. I was humiliated and felt so stupid...words don't adequately describe it. I faced my wife...and deserved a good tongue lashing for my stupidity. She came over to me, sweaty and dirty and tired and ashamed, and she hugged me, she kissed me, and she said "Brett, I love you." I couldn't believe my ears. I deserved the worst, but I found grace. My best friend Dick was standing right there and he was amazed. He thought I was going to be chewed out, but he just saw unconditional love from Carla to me.

So it is with God. I come to Him after having done stupid things...dirty and sweaty and tired and ashamed...and even though I deserve the worst, He puts His loving arms around me and says "Brett, I love you." Wow....

And then He says, go and do likewise. And remember, ministry is messy...but it is what I have done for you...

7 comments:

Keith H. McIlwain said...

I've used your story before...it's a great sermon illustration.

But, I changed your name to protect your identity...I called you "Chris Kindle".

Randy Roda said...

Great story...you have definitely married well. As for stealing the story I will do it but will change your name to Keith.

I'll use it when I preach at Jefferson UMC later this summer. I was going to tentatively entitle my message "Everything You've Heard Is Wrong," so I'll have to change it.

Anonymous said...

Awesome story it was worth waiting a couple of tomorrows...Have a great week. Grace and Peace, John

#11 softball chick said...

well didnt that sound familiar...
lol

Eric Park said...

Great story, man.

Thanks for your willingness to share it.

Anonymous said...

Brett,
You'll never live the fire down. You need to come back and do it again, it's growing up. You indeed have a wonderful and loving wife.
From a good friend.

Greg Cox said...

This is exactly why I made my first appointment get a dumpster - I was and still am unqualified to burn trash!