Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Great Book!


If you haven't read this, you may want to add it to your reading list. I think every Christian needs to be equipped to understand younger Christians so that we can be prepared to mentor them. This text is very helpful to me in understanding how differently our young people act from when I was considered a young person.

Sunday night with our senior high youth, I tried some things out. We rearranged the worship center and set up some candles, dimmed the lights, and had a prayer station. Our Bible study was about how our relationship with our parents can mirror and effect our relationship to our heavenly Father. The youth really seemed to enjoy our time of contemplation and introspection. One 9th grade girl texted me later that evening that the experience was "relaxing and serene."

Imagine that. In my day, we wanted to party. In this day and age, our kids are suffering from sensory overload. Time to sit quietly, listen, meditate, and reflect were a blessing to this young woman. Times are changing. I am challenged to keep up with it...for the Kingdom's sake!

5 comments:

Jeff Kahl said...

Brett,
Definitely a good book, and I have enjoyed using a lot of the principles that it talks about. I think these meditative practices ring true with younger people because they realize that church SHOULD be something different from what they see every day in the world around them. They see enough "entertainment" on MTV, American Idol, etc..., and they realize the superficiality of it.
Keep up the creative thinking!
Jeff

Anonymous said...

It's not only the kids suffering from sensory overload these days..I know a lot of adults that could use some "quiet time" to reflect and renew..
Relaxation is an art form!

Keith H. McIlwain said...

Sounds like a good book; love the youth event. Ever think about helping lead Pgh District Youth?

Greg Cox said...

I've got a great record collection that I'd like to give to your ministry! When can I drop it off?

Corben said...

"for the kingdom's sake" that we may be used by God to win some...

whatever it takes as long as it does not go against Scripture or our Christian Conscience.