Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Living in the "Pause"

Why am I so tempted to have an answer for everything? Why do I react so quickly and decisively to everything (while often reacting poorly)? Why am I afraid of the "pause?"

You know what I mean...someone says something and I feel the need to immediately respond or defend or counter or explain. Why do I do that?

I am discovering, in this Christian discipleship course I'm taking called life (!), that sometimes the pause isn't so bad. I am learning that sometimes no reaction is the best reaction. I am learning that I seldom find immediate results in anything, so why do I expect that I can affect immediate results in anything, especially by my hasty response?

I'm learning to live in the pause....

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Brett,
Right on. It's because we live in a world that expects a response immediately. I once had a DS whom I love dearly that would think everything over before giving his response. I gained so much wisdom from this man. Great post.

God's Grace,
Jeff

Barb said...

Welcome to the world of "pause". Trust me, I am there 90% of the time, it isnt so bad

Pastor Bill said...

Brett - one of the great lessons I got from seminary was to learn to be comfortable in the silences. I'm the kind of guy who will try to fill every silence with words - to speak just to have something to say (and usually it's something pretty stupid - or inappropriate - or unrelated - or, well, you get the picture). Find, and be comfortable, in the "pause".

Jeff Kahl said...

Great insights, man. Pauses are definitely a needed part of my day!

Anonymous said...

I was going to comment on this...but I have decided pause with you.

Keith H. McIlwain said...

My problem is that the Holy Spirit haunts me during those pauses with Jesus' words. It makes me uncomfortable. Which, I suppose, is part of the point.

Anonymous said...

Hi Brett,
We are trying to "press on" and "pause" at our house these days of Autumn! So, pause, press on, and be joyful!
JOYfilled,
Sandy Morris

Corben said...

I know where you are coming from with always wanting to answer. I have just begun to see how pause can be extremely good. I think some of it might be because of our culture, but some of it could be personality styles and types.

God bless,
Corben

Anonymous said...

God tells us that we will find Him in the pause. "Be still, and know that I am God" - Psalm 46:10

Randy Roda said...

Brett...you are a wise man. I think that sometimes we don't pause because we think if we keep going everything will work for us. But when we truly pause, we are forced to look at ourselves and others for who they really are. Great Post!