Wednesday, November 28, 2007

And yet another friend...

I just want to praise the Lord for some very good friends. I spent some time with a good friend last evening and it was such a blessing. He is the kind of friend who will always love me but will also tell me what I need to hear, even if it hurts. And then I get a call this morning from another friend...just checking in on me...no agenda, no needs, no complaints, just checking in.

When I lived in Africa, I discovered that our American culture uses the terms friend and acquaintance interchangeably. This is not so in other parts of the world. And although I do have a lot of “close acquaintances” for which I’m thankful, I am especially grateful to the growing number of people in my life that I count as true friends. My African friends and acquaintances would be proud…

2 comments:

Randy Roda said...

Count me as one of your freinds...appreciate it, man!

smkyqtzxtl said...

I would suspect that in Africa, people are not as mobile as they tend to be here in the states which I think contirbutes some to our notion of what constitutes a friend here. In American I have heard folks are fortunate if they have two to four good friends in a life time, kind of sad if you think of it.