Monday, January 14, 2008

Elijah Room

When I was on my retreat, the Lord put upon me to develop a "retreat room" in our house. So we did. I am calling it my "Elijah Room." In 1 Kings 17, we read about how Elijah sought the Lord and the Lord cared for him. Later, when the widow with whom he was staying had a son who stopped breathing, Elijah took the boy upstairs to his room and prayed. God restored the boy's health. I believe the reason Elijah did this was because it was in this upstairs room where he met regularly with the Lord. So when he had a problem, he simply went to meet with the Lord.


Do you have an Elijah space somewhere?


Here are some pix:






11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have too many kids and animals to have a room. I do have a chair (sometimes I have to throw a cat out of it)that I use for my morning prayers and devotions. I normally get up about an hour before the rest of the house stirs.

The chair cost us $5.00 when we moved from Germany as they were trying to get rid of furniture with the troop draw down. I guess no one else will sit it it.

The idea of place is very powerful in my spiritual experience, so I wish you many moments in that place where heaven touches earth.

Unknown said...

It's not an Elijah room if it doesn't have a guitar :P.

Jan said...

I have always wanted to make a prayer room in my various homes but... never seems to have happened yet. It will one day... I am sure of it!

Jeff Kahl said...

Incredible idea!
Cherith and I use the spare bedroom as "the library" where we keep all our books and stuff, as well as my big "Archie Bunker" armchair from my bachelor days.
Anyway, that's where I usually go when I want some personal time with God.

Anonymous said...

Hey, that rocking chair looks familar!!! Hi, from New Paris!

Greg Cox said...

Us breeders don't have any room.

Brett Probert said...

Who goes there from New Paris? We cherish the rocker!!!

Barb said...

I love Bob's comment, "Where heaven touches earth" I think that Elijah's room represents exactly that. Good idea, and insight.

Anonymous said...

I'll give you a hint- I have enjoyed detailing vehicles and interior redecorating, but my work has not always been appreciated. Any idea?

Brett Probert said...

Ah, a riddle.

Did you prefer to do your work under the light of a "honey moon?"

Did you grow up at the base of a mountain named for your family?

Were your grandparents the original bac-acres?

Anonymous said...

You're too smart!!!