Thursday, April 02, 2009

Was it something I said?


His name is Fred Miller. He is probably one of the greatest Christian men I've ever had the privilege of knowing. He is a life long resident of New Paris PA and is one of the most faithful members the New Paris United Methodist Church has ever known. He was an unofficial mentor to me and taught me more about Jesus, more about ministry, and more about the church than any person or seminary ever has.
One day we were sitting in my office peeling oranges and eating breakfast together...part of his gentle way of getting me to slow down a little. I was lamenting to him about how somebody was upset with me because of a decision I had made and how difficult it was to have somebody angry with me.
He sat and thought, and then he said "Brett, you're the pastor and you're a leader. If at any given time someone isn't upset with you, then you're probably not living into your calling."
Wow. Those words still humble and inspire me. Already today, a decision I made has somebody upset. I'm sorry they are, but I'm not sorry for my decision. That's what leaders do. Pray for me that I will always make the Godly decisions. And pray for me that I don't let others' discomfort with those decisions dissuade me from living into my calling...

1 comment:

Keith H. McIlwain said...

Amen. The Gospel really ruffles feathers; if we're faithful, we probably shouldn't be universally beloved. Look what they did to our Boss!