Wednesday, October 14, 2009

And Now Please Bow Your Heads and Mow


So last evening I had free time (yippee!) and Carla was working (bummer!) so I mowed the lawn.  I know that sounds crazy, especially since the last time I mowed the back yard it was so high that i had to put the bagger on and empty it, and I swear I'm not making this up, EVERY SINGLE TIME I MADE A LAP AROUND THE YARD!!!!  (Don't tell dad.)  But I thought, hey, what if I mowed more often....maybe it might be easier when I did.  And it was.

But alas, this hain't about mowing.  My point is this...as I was mowing, I was reminded of how I do my best praying when I'm doing something else.  Maybe I'm ADHD...maybe I'm crazy...maybe it's just how God wired me.  But as I was mowing, I was having an awesome conversation with the Guy who made the grass!  I was able to share some things on my heart from the day, and I was able to hear Him speak some things I needed to know.  So Lord, help me to use the mundane activities of life as opportunities to spend time with you...

...and now, please bow your heads and rake...

9 comments:

Unknown said...

This message comes at a good time for me. I was thinking the task of laundry would be much easier if I didn't wait until everyone ran out of underwear. I have a LOT of time to talk to Him today.

Brett Probert said...

Funny stuff!

gail kynett said...

For years, this has been the best way for this fallen saint to 'pray without ceasing', i.e. falling into slumber...Prayers go up and inspiration flows down while pruning or weeding or driving the interstate or, yes, raking in Jesus' name. So let the blessings come on down, first onto Brett's driveway and yard, of course.

gail kynett said...

For years, that has been the best way for this fallen saint to 'pray without ceasing',i.e. falling asleep. Both prayers going up and inspiration falling down happen best while pruning, weeding, driving on interstates, and, yes, raking in Jesus' name.

gail kynett said...

For years, that has been the best way for this fallen saint to 'pray without ceasing',i.e. falling asleep. Both prayers going up and inspiration falling down happen best while pruning, weeding, driving on interstates, and, yes, raking in Jesus' name.

Brett Probert said...

Gail...very trinitarian!

Anonymous said...

Isn't this the Buddhist concept of active meditation or just mindfulness?

Brett Probert said...

Dear Anonymous,

Being a blissfully ignorant Christian, I don't have a clue!!! You'll have to check out Blague de Buddha for your answer!

Anonymous said...

This remind me of my message for Laity Sunday about Prayer. I was describing different types of prayer for your personality such as devotional prayer,etc and there is one called action prayer...where you have to be in motion to pray! this was a great example of an action prayer!

John Shank