Monday, October 19, 2009

An Announcement...


If you worshiped with us at Cornerstone on Sunday, October 18th then you have already heard this news, but I wanted to put it into writing for those who were not able to be with us. 
 
About six years ago, Carla and I began to pray about a new direction that we felt God was leading our ministry.  We have served the Lord in pastoring a church for 13 1/2 years now and have been blessed to be able to serve Him in this way.  However, we have been increasingly convinced that He has a new ministry direction for us, and particularly for me (Brett).  I don’t know exactly what kind of direction He is taking me, but I do know that in order for me to seek that out with honesty and integrity, I must announce that I am going to step down from pastoring Cornerstone Church .

I am willing to serve as your pastor here through the end of the appointment year, which is through June 2010, provided God doesn’t open other doors for us or for Cornerstone.  I know this might seem to be an unusual approach by telling you now and continuing to serve as your pastor.  However, I believe that Cornerstone is at crossroads that provides for huge and exciting new possibilities.  I do not want to lead us through a planning time that assumes to involve me when I know I won’t be a part of it through the long term.  Also, I don’t want to announce that I’m leaving and let Cornerstone to deal with that alone.  I think it is much more honest and productive for us to work through this all together.

Although I am uncertain about many things as Carla and I go forward, let me tell you a few things of which I believe we are certain.  First of all, I am not going to pastor another United Methodist Church …the Conference is not “moving me on.”  Secondly, I am not going to pastor a church in another denomination.  I simply feel that God has a calling for ministry that isn’t leading a church, but is more a mission.

Secondly, we plan to stay in the area, at least for now.  Carla has a stable employment situation, and we feel that it is wise for her to maintain that while my ministry is in transition.  I am beginning to write my resume, and I am feeling called to some kind of ministry where I will work with people groups that are unchurched and may never hear of or see the love of Jesus unless Christians go and take Him there.  I may work with a mentoring ministry, homeless ministry, children of incarcerated parents, prison ministry, or something like that….again some kind of “missions” ministry, but here locally.

Most of all, please know this.  I am not leaving for a better offer.  I wanted to announce this now so that I can begin to search those things out with integrity.  Also, I’m not leaving because I dislike being a pastor.  I love it, but I know God has something different in store next.  And we are unsure of exactly where He is leading us; just that we know He is calling us to leave this venture and step out to where He is taking us…a ministry that He will show us.  (Genesis 12:1)

Lastly, know that I have great hopes for Cornerstone.  The Leadership Team is a very capable group of solid Christians who have supported me in this because they know that God has big things in store for Cornerstone.  Please pray for us all as we continue to seek God’s face and will for Cornerstone Church of Cranberry and for our lives as individuals. 

in the love of Jesus,
Brett

5 comments:

Jeff Kahl said...

Brett,
Blessings to you as you take this courageous step with Christ! You da man!
Jeff

Chris said...

I appreciate your up-front method of communication. I am praying for where God is going to lead you.

Brett Probert said...

Thanks Jeff and Chris. Jeff...correction: Jesus is da man! But you already know that...

Shanin & Jack Polce said...

We are excited for your new direction in life and admire your ability to have Faith in God's guidance in your lives. We are praying for you! Now we must get back to the Burgh and Cornerstone before your last sermon as a UM Pastor. God will guide you to great things. We miss you and Carla!

Brett Probert said...

Great to hear from you guys!!!! Get back to visit us soon!!!! How is life "down east?"