Thursday, October 01, 2009

Cough, cough...


So I'm still coughing...even though I'm done (I hope) with the swine flu.  But as I'm coughing, I'm remembering one of my favorite stories from childhood.  See, we were in second grade and I had a cough.  So mom sent me to school with Smith Brothers cough drops (see picture.  BTW, why did they come 17 in a box?  Like did the Smith Brothers have a thing for prime numbers?!).

Well, my twin sister Brenda wanted some cough drops.  And I wouldn't give her any (now this was with good reason...see the picture, Brenda:  They're MEDICATED.  This is a SPECIAL FORMULA!  They are not candy!!!).  So after our bathroom break (the bathrooms were upstairs in the old Salix school where we only had 1st-3rd grade and no cafeteria), Brenda loudly fake-coughed the whole way down the stairs. 

It didn't work.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You may want to note that these "Cough Drops are only to be used for coughs caused by SMOKING or throat irritations caused by too much TALKING. NOT the swine flu or piglet flu or whatever you have diagnosed yourself with.

Do you ever regret how nastily you treated your sister?

Brett Probert said...

No, I don't. I do regret how difficult my childhood was at the hands of oppressive parents though...

gail kynett said...

Having interviewed the last of the Smith Sisters, the choice of 17/box is...a secret. Since the formula was a trade secret, the prime number must be... a clue! # of drops of licorice extract? Minutes to stir at 'hard crack' stage? # of times your sister has to fake a cough 'til you cough one up for her?

Brett Probert said...

Gail...it's the number of times I'm going to use this story to humiliate my sister.

Mary Walters Carrero said...

I Remember Salix elementary...and I enjoy reading your blogs. Thanks for taking me back!

Brett Probert said...

Mary...my pleasure! Life was good then...