Monday, September 28, 2009

Cowboy for an Evening...


So a few weeks ago, Carla was working 3-11 on a Friday night, so I headed off on the hawg for an evening of relaxation.  I was heading south on Route 18 in Washington County and was encountering all sorts of traffic, a rarity for this rural stretch of road.  As I tooled on, I started noticing people in the cars dressed in cowboy hats and flannel shirts.  Soon, I was at a mini traffic jam near the entrance to the concert grounds.  I asked someone (dressed in the cowboy garb) next to me what was going on, and they responded that it was a Toby Keith concert...last of the season!

So that explains it.  I have to admit, my first thought was "how stupid is this...a bunch of yinzers dressed like cowboys and cowgirls.  I bet they don't dress that way on Monday..."

But then I thought, that's what makes America great.  We are truly free...free to lose ourselves in some "other persona" if evening for an evening.  We are free to live out our dreams, if only at a concert on a Friday evening.  I love this country, and I love freedom....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You might be surprised how many pair of cowboy boots are worn on Monday. I once asked someone with wingtips why they wore them; and the answer was because that is what is worn. That is just not good enough for some, like me. Some don't let the material conformity of this world bring us down.

Madawg