Tuesday, November 03, 2009

4th Gear

So it's freezing outside today...like 48ish, but I decided to ride the hawg today.  Let's face it, one is not going to be able to enjoy too many more days on two wheels this Fall.  So this afternoon after my last appointment and before the sun set, I took a nice little "therapy" ride.  As I was cruising along enjoying the cold wind, the sights and sounds of Fall, and the freedom of the open road, I decided that I like 4th gear best.  Roads that are 4th gear roads are twisty and windy and maybe a little rough.  They are roads with blind curves and blinder hills and lots of chances for fleeting wildlife.  4th gear roads have lots of hazards and surprises waiting, and so they demand 4th gear.  Not 5th, not 6th, for sure.  But not 1st or 2nd either.  Just fast enough to really keep on alert on the bars.  And just slow enough to enjoy the day, the view, and the challenges of the road...

I've spent a good bit of my life in 6th gear, and while I don't regret it, I find myself more and more comfortable with 4th gear.  And not just on the bike, but on the road that leads to life...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Brilliant.

Anonymous said...

Motorcycle riding is better than going to a therapist.

Madawg

Anonymous said...

Since I don't have a 6th gear, I like 4th! Sounds like you are getting older! We all have to learn to slow down as we get older and enjoy the journey more than the destination! (There will be lots of time at the destination, but only a fleeting glance along the way!)

Brett Probert said...

Amen!