Friday, November 06, 2009

Bert and Ernie


So back in the day, I used to work on a horse farm that had Belgian draft horses.  They came and went, but my favorite team we called Bert and Ernie.  Bert was an older, gentle, wise gelding, and Ernie was younger, crazier, and personable.  When we hooked them together, it was almost unbelievable how they took on each others' best characteristics and covered for each others' weaknesses.  I used to love to sit behind them on a wagon or whatever and just watch them work as a team.

Stan is my lifting partner at the gym.  We usually meet at the gym at 4:45 (a.m....yes it does come around twice a day) and start lifting at 5.  We work out for an hour or so then sit and drink coffee and share life.  It is a fantastic way to start the day.

How are the two related?  Well, Stan is on vacation this week, and I made it to the gym Monday.  That's it.  Just Monday.  Why?  Because I'm Ernie...and I'm lazy unless I have a Bert to inspire me, push me, drag me, perk me up, settle me down.  (NOTE: I am not calling Stan a horse, or any other part of a horse's anatomy, although there are times....)   Carla plays this role in our marriage. (NOTE: I am not calling my wife a horse, or any other part of a horse's anatomy!)  Some friends play that role in my Christian journey (NOTE: I am not calling my horses, or any other part of a horse's anatomy!) 

The bottom line?  I need to be a part of a team, or I stumble.  Maybe that's why God said in Hebrews 10 that we should not "forsake meeting together as some are in the habit of doing..."

No comments: